Siping, Jilin Province

Siping, Jilin Province

October 2, 2014

Learning English

Many Chinese students wish they could have excellent English, and that they could use their English in all sorts of jobs after they graduate. However, students usually get discouraged when they are speaking with native English speakers like myself because they realize how much they don’t understand. Even more discouraging is when they listen to native speakers talking with other native speakers, and they quickly get lots in the midst of mumbled and quick idiomatic and cultural English.

This past summer I really wanted to show my younger freshman and sophomore students different examples of Chinese friends and former students that I have know who have achieved a higher level of English or are using their English in different ways across the globe. I hoped to encourage them by showing them young Chinese people who could show them that it is in fact possible to have good English and to use it after they graduate.

I asked these people to answer a few questions and record themselves, which resulted in the following 2-part video compilation. While this video is geared toward my students, I thought I would share it with you all so you could have the chance to see some of my students (and yes, most of my students are female, so most of the people I interviewed were female, and only one guy had the time to help out). Enjoy!

*cue inspiring music*
Part 1 from JSweeting on Vimeo.

Part 2 from JSweeting on Vimeo.